Monday, February 10, 2014

Anthropomorphism and You: You’re Probably Not a Nutjob Because You Talk to Your Car

Don't be such an asshole!

There is a degree of schizophrenia in which a person has conversations with inanimate objects.  If you or a loved one has deep philosophical discussions with your toaster, than by all means stop reading this stupid thing and call a professional.  But there is also an innocent side to this strange phenomenon that is still quite revealing.
I have talked to my car.  “Come on, get me through this and I’ll give you the best oil change of your life.  My treat.”  This is quite common, especially those of us that either have little technical know-how or have crappy cars.  We need somewhere to vent our anxiety, and we are trying to befriend our car in the hopes that he will return the favor and not leave us stranded on the highway.  I’ve done the same with my computer, printers, heater…even once with my roof.  That one scared me. For some reason it seemed crazier to talk to something without any moving parts: “Jesus, don’t leak tonight, okay?”
Two days ago, I wrote in my journal file on my computer.  I have been writing a lot of this essay stuff for the past few weeks, and when I opened my personal journal, I felt a sense of apology hit me.  Just for a moment, I felt bad that I hadn't opened it up in the last three weeks.  I felt bad for the journal.  The 1’s and 0’s on my computer arranged in alphanumeric shapes set against a white page on my screen. For half a second, I felt bad for a computer program.  That’s a little weird.  But, if this is the thing you do to get by, it should not feel any stranger than telling your dog your plans for the day or bitching out your old rake because it’s a piece of shit.
The truth is, those of us who anthropomorphize tend to be more sensitive and a little more detached from the rest of life.  We are lonelier; in that we feel lonely more often than a person that does not do this.   It is a little sad, but I like to think of it as that we have a lot of friendship to extend to the rest of the world, and why just stop at human beings?  There are pets and machines and homes that have personalities we have assigned; why not include them in your life.  I think as long as you don’t hear the toaster talking back, you are okay.  Plus, we just don’t have enough places to give thanks.  If you are religious, you can thank God over and over, as you probably do.  Some of us like to spread the love, and thank the cable for not going out, and the lightning for not hitting the tree outside your bedroom window, and the tree for not falling on you.  Its quick, it’s innocent.  It’s kinda healthy-ish?
The inverse is interesting as well.   The lonely or detached tend to talk to their stuff, while the extremely secure do something very different.  Those who don’t question their place in society often look at people as objects.  Their detachment is quite different and from a different end of the spectrum of removal from society.  It seems there is one more divide between the sensitive and the secure, the thoughtful and the callus, the self-aware and those who just aren’t.  (I apologize; I cannot relocate the research article that details this study. I didn’t just make this crap up. Dumb brain.)
I understand why these things bring us comfort.  They are in no way any different to me than talking to your maker or your mother who passed away twenty years ago.  It is a search for attachment.  Now that I now it is mostly common and relatively indicative of a sane but sensitive person, I won’t feel the shame or embarrassment of feeling twinges of pity when I throw old clothes away, or lock my lawnmower in the shed. 
Ooh, I bet its cold in there for him right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change. Then Change Again.

I keep blog ideas in a file on my computer.   They could be just a sentence or even a few words.   For about three or four years, writ...