Monday, May 12, 2014

My Anxiety Files - I Don't Want That In My Head

It's gonna get bleaker, Rick.

When you have anxiety, your brain isn’t always your friend.  The fear impulse is out of whack; the mind cannot differentiate between real fears and imagined ones, small irritations or major calamities.  Everything is DefCon 1.   It is also wired to look for impending doom.  It needs to feed itself, so it looks for things to be afraid of.  It is the foundation of worry.  It is also the reason why I have to still abstain from certain movies, TV shows and above all, documentaries.  Even though I have my anxiety mostly under control, there are sights and sounds and thoughts I can’t even let into my brain.  Those who do not relate to things are baffled when anxious people avoid specific media.  They think we are childish or ridiculous.  We are just not engaging; like an alcoholic might stay away from bars. We avoid specific pain.  We avoid the news. We are protecting ourselves.
I say this because I will never watch the movie Se7en again.  Nope.  Saw in the theater with my wife, haven’t seen it since.  I know people love it, and it was well done.  It features actors I enjoy, but the story and imagery are too much for my subconscious to process.  The same goes for the movie Ransom.  Not a great movie, but there are scenes in that film that will absolutely crush you if you are both a parent and have anxiety.  You can’t mess with kids.  You just can’t. Most of my anxieties as an adult revolve around my children, and anything that could happen to them.  I’m not a daily worrier, and I feel bad for those people.  I am one who tries to sidestep nightmare fodder. To hear the stories secondhand isn’t really enough.  But if I see the images I’m screwed. I walked out of Life Is Beautiful when the Nazis rolled in. I will never watch the dark serial killer horror movies and I will never, ever watch Funny Games. I know the entire plot of that movie and I still won’t see it.  Fuck that movie, and fuck the people who made it.
Sometimes, there are just scenes or episodes of an established series that take me by surprise.  I realize The Walking Dead is a superb show.  I’m not really into zombies, but I can tell a well-made show when I see it.  After a season, I had to bail. The darkness and the complete lack of hope just bum me out too much. There is too much senseless death and child endangerment.  I have learned enough to avoid those seeds from being planted.  Cop and detective shows have a lot of those scenes as well to further the plot.  I appreciate when they are constructed with a little class and tact.  The CSI-inspired picking and digging and scraping around human remains is so unbelievably unnecessary.  We get it.  A dead body. I don’t need shots of the entrails and vomit and chunks of brain. Just give us the report already, you disgusting assholes.
Amistad and Schindler’s List are permanent fixtures on the inners walls of my head.  Brutal scenes of inhumanity, etched like cave paintings that I will never be able to forget. They were great pieces of storytelling and deserve to be seen by everyone. Which brings me to 12 Years a Slave.  I am an American history guy.  This is an Oscar-winning film made by talented artists. I may never see it.  It pisses me off sometimes that I am like this.  I wish I had an iron constitution.  I wish I could take the good with the bad and process them for what they are and go about my life.  But it is not that way with anxiety.  I cannot give the bear a big slab of meat.  To see it would flame hatred inside me for racist dickheads and unnerve me to see humans tortured for two hours.  I mean no offense.  I just can’t do it.
I don’t need a life of musicals and Disney movies.  I have enjoyed a lot of dark shit.  I like thrillers and suspenseful movies that other anxiety-prone people can’t handle.  I just know the buttons that get pushed.  It is a bit of a handicap that luckily can be managed.  If I watch something intense, I always make sure I do it during the day.  Nighttime exacerbates the feeling of fear and daylight has a way of taking you out of it.  If I see something late, I always watch something afterward that is light-hearted.  Wartime atrocities are easily swept away with a couple episodes of Archer and Family Guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Change. Then Change Again.

I keep blog ideas in a file on my computer.   They could be just a sentence or even a few words.   For about three or four years, writ...