Monday, May 26, 2014

My Anxiety Files - There's A Reason The Daily Show Is My News Source

The news is crazy.  But I acknowledge it.

I am an adult.  I am married and I have children in high school and beyond.  I am a reader.  I have multiple interests and I usually know what is going on.  I am not afraid to know things; I am not afraid of the world.  But I almost never watch the news.  It has been a theme in the last ten years or so to reject cable news especially, simply under the blanket that it is all “a bummer” or it is commercialized, or sensationalized.  That could all be true.  For some of us, conflict and agitation are difficult to process, even when the subject is far removed from our own scopes of interest.  The news can affect you and bring you down.  The cold, hard facts of a reliable news source can alter your view of the world around you.  That is why I abstain. Or, I just watch The Daily Show.
You will hear that “the news is depressing”.  That is just life.  News reports the tragedies and problems because the make a story.  They make a story because they are unusual.  It is that simple logic problem that most people cannot reconcile.  If the world was as truly as fucked up as you think it is (by watching the news), the news would not air or write about those stories in the first place.  It is the fact that these depressing stories are unusual that makes them newsworthy.  If you understand that, then the world is not as bad off as the narrow window of the news conveys.  But people don’t want to think that.  Thinking the world is a giant toilet being flushed is a great excuse not to do anything about it.
No, my problem with the news is chemical.  I can handle the news of war and train crashes. I know that multiple murders happen every day, not just the ones Nancy Grace talks about.  Intellectually, I have reasoned this through over the years.  There are tragedies out there.  Be thankful.  Just because it happened there does not mean it will happen here.  My brain accepts it.  Well, except the part of my brain that controls my anxiety.  With anxiety, the news can feel real.  I can feel similar feelings as someone being yelled at a roundtable, or someone on the ground in war-torn Somalia. I have an unbridled sense of empathy, which is nice to a friend in need but really sucks during political unrest.  For my anxiety, presidential debates and MSNBC interviews and a kidnapped teenager all hit me the same.  Even medicated, sometimes it is too much to bear.
The nice part is, these things really do not concern me or my life.  I am a person who believes were should stay as informed as possible.  I do.  But most of us have a ton of shit on our respective plates. It is respectful to the rest of the country and the world to know what is happening.  But it is not necessary.  The truth is, we can get caught up with two or three minutes per week on all the pertinent stories.  Analysis, discussion and up to the minute reports are all extraneous.  My brain rejects them.  When it is time to vote, I check in.  When there is an important law on the table, I check in.  The rest is pageantry, and for that I go to Jon Stewart.
Why?  I know it is not serious news.  I know Jon is a comedian on a comedy network.   Here’s why:  The four minutes of solid information on each episode is both the exact amount I want in a sitting, and also it is the truth.  Sorry conservatives, but the truth has a liberal bent.  Without the truth, the jokes would not work.  There has to be truth to make satire work, and that is why the show can be both informative and funny.  I am not ashamed to admit that this is my news source (outside of the internet, of course)  I know there is research that shows Daily Show and Colbert Report audiences are the most knowledgeable.  That does not surprise or concern me.  My anxiety has made a deal with my intellect.  If I want to be informed without panic, I have to get my news with a side of poop jokes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Change. Then Change Again.

I keep blog ideas in a file on my computer.   They could be just a sentence or even a few words.   For about three or four years, writ...