Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Sym-pa-thy (n) - The fact or power of sharing the feelings of another

What did you expect?

            It’s not that I don’t want to write about political issues; I can’t write about political issues.  I am too passionate and I have too much respect for the level of discourse political talk actually deserves to throw my anxiety-ridden hat in the ring.  But I do have a million thoughts about how we live together and how we interact with each other socially.  I believe that understanding each other socially, by that I mean our true motivations and feelings, is the best way to iron out the differences that will always be there.
            The girls kidnapped in Nigeria by extremist monster assholes brought me here.  It is not the event itself, but the reaction to it.  There was a conservative backlash, not against the event, but how they perceived the liberal left reacted to this ongoing tragedy.  People like Limbaugh sneered at the left for caring or participating in a Twitter campaign; they believed liberals did this to make themselves feel better. He is so far removed from humanity he doesn’t even understand the concept of sympathy.  They actually discounted the natural human instinct to sympathize, even in a situation where young girls were in serious danger. Then I remembered: sympathy (and empathy) are difficult emotions that are obscured by a lot of other, darker emotions. 
            Sympathy is an expression of an emotion for someone else.  That is the most basic definition I could find.  It is the “someone else” that gets in the way for a lot of people.  Maybe they don’t feel anyone has sympathy for them, maybe they skipped that part of the Bible where Jesus said…everything he said.  My theory is, and it is hardly new, that sympathy actually interferes with the belief system they have constructed around them.  Sympathy interferes with manifest destiny and rugged individualism.  It truly asks a person to step outside of their bubble.  Some people are just too scared to do so.
            I have always tried to be sympathetic, even in the face of resistance and sometimes, poor logic on my part.  I’m not trying to make myself out to be a saint, because my sympathy has limits, but I guess I have been self-aware of this emotion since I was very young.  Here’s an example.  I was about 19 and it was around midnight at my mom’s apartment in a crappy part of town.  I woman knocked on the door; she was in tears.  She said her boyfriend kicked her out of her house and she needed money for a cab ride.  She had a baby with her.  I was leaving for a road trip the next morning with a friend of mine, and I was really fucking poor.  I had a twenty dollar bill.  I gave it to her.
            After this, I didn’t have much money for the trip, which kinda sucked.  I told all my friends about the story; because I’m a talker, and I could not believe how much shit I got for giving that woman some money.  I was a sucker, she was lying, why would I give my only $20 to a stranger.  I never felt bad about it; not for a minute.  Still don’t.  I don’t give a shit about the money, and I don’t care if she ripped me off.  The odds were most likely that she wasn’t lying, and I helped somebody on a shitty night.  Maybe I helped, maybe I didn’t. I tried. What did I lose?  Twenty stupid dollars.
            The point is: I want to engage in sympathy.  I don’t want to second-guess every human being that crosses my path and assume they are up to something.  I don’t want to walk through life like that.  I know that I will be lied to sometimes, but I want to live like this.  It is better.  Those who screw me over have to live tiny, miserable lives.  Let them keep the $20.
            One does not need a stake in the situation to have sympathy.  That is the point.  Have you noticed how many times a conservative figure will change their opinion on an issue as soon as it affects them?  The anti-gay legislator will discover his son is gay and all of a sudden he is accepting of others.  A woman will have a baby and suddenly be in support of healthcare or schools. Why does that happen?  They are emotionally stunted, and cannot extend their feeling beyond their circle.  Someone has to reach in and touch them and show that pain that affects others is still pain.
            Also, this came to me recently.  There is a large chunk of this country that complains about what comes out of Hollywood.  It’s a propaganda machine, they are obviously left-leaning, they do not share tradition values, etc.  What stood out to me is it is a large chunk of this country.  It’s true, we are split pretty much down the middle ideologically, and it seems odd to me that the money grubbing whores of the big movie studios would ignore a market of 150 million people right in their own backyard.  Either half the country is lying and they are just fine with the movies that come out, or there has to be a reason why there just really aren’t any conservative-minded movies.
            I think I know the answer.  You can’t tell stories without sympathy or empathy.  It can’t be done.  The biggest complaint anyone has about a movie, no matter the genre, is that they didn’t give a crap about the characters.  You just can’t connect to a character if the story if sympathy is absent.  You have to care what happens to Harry Potter.  You have to care about the bunch of twenty-somethings in the cabin about to be attacked by a slasher in a dumb mask.  People without sympathy don’t write movies.  Why would they?  It is a sweeping generalization to be sure, and I’m sure I glossed over a few stand-outs, but I bet there is something to it.

            I’ve heard that education is the key to end this volatile, antagonistic streak we have in our culture.  I agree, but I think sympathy might be the way to get us there.  It is okay to care about someone who is not your responsibility.  It is a feeling, it is prayer, it is meditation, it is support.  Maybe you don’t have any skin in the game, and you actually won’t be doing anything to help, but the feeling counts for something.  Those of us with the backbone and strength to actually do something start those journeys with feelings of sympathy.  For those of you who can’t or won’t at least sympathize with your fellow man, I feel really bad for you.  I sympathize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change. Then Change Again.

I keep blog ideas in a file on my computer.   They could be just a sentence or even a few words.   For about three or four years, writ...